Monday, January 16, 2012

Essentials: Work those tools, girl.

Through the years of playing derby, I've been slowly collecting essential tools that I absolutely have needed at least once a month.  My arsenal has grown throughout the last three years, and here is a list of the most important ones.


#1 Bearing press.  Yes, you need one, even if you are a whiz with an unorthodox method of putting bearings in and taking them out, because usually those methods are uncomfortable and awkward, which means you end up putting off changing you bearings or cleaning them.  My press of choice is a Powerdyne press which I've had for three years now.  These presses run for about fifty five dollars and really help me be able to change my bearings.  They do come with a replacement tip, which is a good thing because I've actually known one person who has broken the that attachment by trying to force a bearing out of a wheel.


#2 Elephant tool.  This one is a life saver for me because I have plates that take the seven mm nuts and bearings, so I can't use a standard skate tool.  Here is what one looks like, and it is one of the cheapest tools I've ever owned. Typical elephant tool.  I would cry big boo hoo tears if I lost my elephant tool because it fixes everything on my skates except for my toe stops.  Seriously, I've considered getting a tattoo of one on my calf.


I loves mah tools.


#3 Allen Wrenches.  Speaking of toe stops, if I have to raise or lower my toe stops I need to have my allen wrench set, which I straight up stole from my husband.  (Shhhh...don't tell!)  I hate seeing skaters sidelined and desperately searching for a tool to fix their toe stops. 

I know that women aren't necessarily trained or used to dealing with tools, but since we are in such a DIY sport, that it makes sense to learn what makes your skates work or not work.  It would be really amazing for us to be more self sufficient!

1 comment:

  1. This is my new favorite Bearing tool. It changes bearing ridiculously quickly and is easy to use!
    http://www.rollergirlskates.com/bones-bearing-press-puller-tool.aspx
    Spaztastic!

    ReplyDelete