Honestly, if everyone was this dedicated to derby, just imagine the possibilities.
How far do you have to drive- or how far are you WILLING to commute to play roller derby?
When I moved from San Diego, CA to New Bern, NC I was faced with this very question...with a small league 40 minutes away but a more competitive WFTDA league about 2hours and 15minutes away, I thought I would settle for the closer, smaller, less competitive league.
After about 6 months more or less on the smaller league, and realizing that if I continued with them I would never have more than likely 5, and this was a BIG night, at a practice, I was ready for a change....and I decided to tryout for Carolina Rollergirls and to try the 2hr and 15min drive twice per week.
It definitely took some thought on my part. I wanted to know that it was doable and I figured it was because:
1. My boyfriend plays derby too and offered to drive so I could sleep in the car if I needed to
2. I am single
3. My job allowed me to leave work early once per week, sometimes twice, with a little bit of changing my schedule around.
Of course everyone's situation is different. Unfortunately, real life does trump roller derby...although sometimes I (we) maybe wish it didn't...
Are you in a similar situation? If you are considering driving a long distance to play roller derby you need to consider a few things:
1. Is your job flexible with your work schedule?
2. Do you have someone to share driving responsibility? Or maybe a skater bud you can stay at their house so you don't have to drive late at night or when tired?
3. Can you realistically make the attendance and league requirements with your schedule? How will you do this?
4. Are you ok with your life being solely dedicated to work and roller derby? You will likely need to sacrifice any sort of family.friends-outside-of-
derby time to do this because of the travel distance.
So those are real ?s to ask yourself. It is doable, and I know I wouldn't be the skater I am today if I hadn't. I made the right decision for me because I love the sport and my team so much, but I know it may be a different story for others.
|Photo by Joshua R. Craig|
If you have more ?s please don't hesitate to email email@example.com