Wednesday, July 10, 2013

To the Entitled: Part Three

Just when I think derby is winning the war on dealing with entitled members, I get a spate of emails and messages from people in leagues all over the place dealing with a group of entitled skaters.  Is it cyclical, like the seasons?  Or the moon phase?  Is there a tropical storm season of entitlement?
Image found here

I've spent a lot of time and effort in my blog to help people realize that entitlement is one of the seven deadly sins of derby teams.  It is destructive and it can take the joy out of skating for people if it is left unchecked.  Ever get a blister from skating?  It seems like a small injury, but it nags at you.  It hurts, it makes you miserable and sometimes it becomes the focus of all of your attention.  Entitlement is the blister on the foot of a derby league.

How does this happen?  Why does it keep happening?  What can we do to stop it from happening in our leagues?

First of all, I think entitlement is an especially thorny issue in derby because we have a weird set up in our sport, which makes us a unique entity.  "For the skaters, by the skaters" is a great DIY ideal, but in the practical everyday running of the league, this tends to cause a lot of problems if there isn't excellent communication in the league in question.  Let's face it, leagues don't always communicate well.  "That's how we've always done it and new people need to figure out our way" tends to be the ruling philosophy, which works if someone knows all of the unspoken rules of a league, but if they're new they're probably clueless.  Also, if a league has skaters who are "awesome" and aren't held to the same standards that everyone else is, ie. volunteer work and attendance, then why wouldn't newer skaters think they can act the same way.  If you don't want entitlement issues in your league, don't foster entitlement with any of your skaters.  Pure and simple.  Either we all work, or this league doesn't succeed. 

A few people have written to me with an interesting conundrum.  To cut down on the butthurt, their leagues have had the skaters self evaluate their performances; what shocked the people reading the evaluations was that a majority of skaters ranked themselves ridiculously high, even the newbies.  Wait, what?  How does that happen?  Well, I really think that we foster this kind of warped self image to skaters, by not giving honest and helpful feedback.   Nobody likes to crush the dreams and hopes of a newbie skater, but when we say "You're doing great!  You're amazing" without giving the skater a context for that level of feedback.  When we say those things, what we really mean is "You're doing really well for a newbie!"  or "that was great, because a month ago you could barely stop without falling down."  We edit ourselves because we don't want to crush a newbie; unfortunately, newer skaters don't understand the context.  They hear "you're awesome" and that's as far as it gets.  It's no shock that many skaters develop a twisted and inherently skewed perception of their skills.  Add to that the fact that many newer skaters don't get to venture out of their leagues to mingle with other skaters, so they don't have a good perspective of what "Good" is.  Let's face it, the definition of "good" is graded on a curve in derby.

How can we minimize entitlement?  Basically, we need to communicate better.  We have to act better too, and be clear with our expectations.  If we don't model how we want people to behave in our league, we're going to keep getting more and more entitled waves hitting our sport, and ain't nobody got time for that....as they say.

9 comments:

  1. I'm a teacher in my non-derby life, and a parent as well. Everything I've learned (both the book way and the hard way) has pointed to one thing (er... maybe two things): Be specific in your praise and your criticism.

    I'm fairly new at the whole derby thing, so when teammate recently said, "your track awareness has really improved," it meant a whole lot more than a dozen vague "good job!" comments. It keeps everything in perspective: I can still be fairly, um, unaccomplished and still feel good that I'm less unaccomplished than I was a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely Done. As a relatively newer skater, I can assure you, Id rather have constructive feedback than have my ego fluffed. I will be the one who suffers when I get my ass handed to me and injured. I dont know when the concept of "earning" your spot on a team started failing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with The Smacca and Headmaster. I just started skating a few weeks ago, so I KNOW that I have a lot to work on. Praise and criticism are both very important and must be in balance. I like it when trainers tell me straight up what I did wrong and how I can fix it, because I'm not going to learn if people sugar coat the truth. However, praise is very important too. It feels really awesome when someone tells me I'm improving on a specific skill, but when there's no encouragement or praise given, it's hard not to feel bad with a stream of seemingly negative feedback constantly coming my way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a non mins passed skater and am lucky with how the trainers in my league talk to us about how we are progressing. It varies coach to coach but when I got me feedback from sitting old mins they went between the good and how to improve the not so good and the bad. Like your left leg glides were good, spend a bit more time on your right when you work on them or telling me different ways to shift my weight during laterals.

    I was having a hard time with a drill last week and asked to pair with a helper when we were stepping it up a notch after a water break as felt I was holding my fellow newbie back. The coach paired me up with an expieranced skater who after a few goes figured out what I was struggling most with so took me off track to practice without rolling. She was pointing out the x bit is better, now try to do y like this. Sadly I broke my ankle that night so won't be able to work on it for a while yet but have recieved lots of supportive messages including how much some of my skills have come on and offers of help working on skills when I'm back.
    I guess I respond better when it's a mixed critique as when only told the good I don't think I push as hard but when all negative or no feedback I get in a rut struggling questioning if it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The college professor (who wound up being my advisor in grad school) once wrote, on the cover page of a paper I wrote, "Great writing! A" and then when I flipped the page, the entire seven-page paper was covered in ink telling me what was wrong with my writing and how I could have made that paper better. It was so motivating to hear, "You're doing well -- but you can be better." And as an educator and a learner, that experience gave me so much to think about in terms of how we give and receive feedback. Those who are struggling need to hear that they are making progress, true, but those who are doing some things right also need to hear what they can do better.

    For me, while I like to hear that I'm making progress (because nobody likes to feel like they are -- pardon the pun -- just spinning their wheels), I so much appreciate clear, specific feedback that tells me what I can do better, what still needs work, and (most importantly) what I can do right now to address weaknesses and move forward in a meaningful way. That applies to whatever I'm learning for me, and right now while I'm learning to be a better skater, I am very grateful for the helpful and specific feedback, criticism, advice, and encouragement I'm getting from everyone around me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The problem of overestimating your own ability is common to a lot of fields: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect . It seems that improving helps, but ultimately I would imagine that a person's reaction to overestimating their ability is going to depend on their own personality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was having a hard time with a drill last week and asked to pair with a helper when we were stepping it up a notch after a water break as felt I was holding my fellow newbie back. The coach paired me up with an expieranced skater who after a few goes figured out what I was struggling most with so took me off track to practice without rolling. She was pointing out the x bit is better, now try to do y like this. Sadly I broke my ankle that night so won't be able to work on it for a while yet but have recieved lots of supportive messages including how much some of my skills have come on and offers of help working on skills when I'm back.
    Cheap Jerseys
    Wholesale Jerseys

    ReplyDelete