Thursday, June 27, 2013

I Hate Missing ECDX....DAMNIT

This year I cannot make it to ECDX due to excessive travel games this year, and I'm trying very hard not to be depressed about it.  Not only am I missing out on great derby, fun challenge bouts, the awesome pool party, and meeting up with my derby friends, I'm also going to be missing out on Team USA try outs.  I wanted to attend them, not because I thought I had a chance in hell of making the team, but just to see what the process was and maybe blog about it.  Hey, I'm always thinking like a blogger!  Anyway, instead of sitting here feeling jealous about not being at the derby epicenter of the month, I'm going to try and come up with coping skills for the rest of us who are left behind!
No derby soup for me this year.

1.  Stalk your Facebook buddies' statuses to live vicariously through them.  This is a double edged sword because some of the posts are definitely going to bum you out, and some will make you excited you read them.  Also, the coverage at ECDX sucks butt for cellphones, so you might have to wait until everyone gets back to the hotels to update profiles. 

2.  Watch the wftda.tv feed.  I've been stalking their schedule page and I haven't seen a listing yet, but I know they're going to be broadcasting.  At least I'll be able to watch derby this year without my feet going numb, or my back freezing up because I stayed in my one location for SIX HOURS STRAIGHT.  I wasn't going to miss ANYTHING last year.  You can always look for your friends on the feed.  I had a bunch of people tagging me on Facebook "Hey Q!  I see you!" from last year.  That was kind of fun.

3.  Do all of the cross training.  I'm going to be doing my cross training while watching all the derby.  The only bad thing about ECDX is you can't usually do your P90X while you're watching derby...not enough room!


Good luck to the Hurticanes!  Pictures by Ashley Cohen.
4.  Do other derby stuff.  Wait, there's other derby stuff happening?  Yes.  I'm going to be doing a guest coaching stint this Saturday, and I know that there is a junior derby tournament going on too.  I'm sure leagues are still having practice, and you can always lace up your outdoor skates and go clear your head.

5.  Do "real life stuff."  Ah yes, real life stuff is calling me.  I have a house to clean, and laundry, and books to read.  I also should call my non derby friends just to prove to them that I'm still alive.

6.  Or you can sit and sulk.  Let's face it, you're probably going to sulk a little bit.  It sucks that you can't be there, so you might as well just own it.  Sulk away!  Save up for next year!  I'm hoping to be there next year myself.


1 comment:

  1. For those of us that are travel-challenged and a hair below Big 5 Tourney level, there is Midwest Derby Fest in the sprawling metropolis of Lebanon, Missouri this weekend (note: Lebanon is not a sprawling metropolis but has an accommodating venue that the other, larger cities do not). Not advertising, though. The message is this: No matter when it is or where you are, there is derby happening. Somewhere, nearby, and it's just as exciting because just as many people you know and love are doing it. And it's not hard to find a way to participate. Buck up and find 'the derbys' near you and live derby life to the fullest at the local level! :)

    ReplyDelete